PAWS Kuwait will help & advise you with an abandoned or injured dog or cat whenever possible. However, we have a limited number of volunteers and a limited amount of resources to work with. Please be patient while we work to find a volunteer carer or kennel space for the animal you have found. There are times when we are full when sadly we cannot help. At that point we will advertise your rescued pet but may not be able to accommodate your rescue. In all cases, we ask that you to seek veterinary assistance immediately if your rescue appears injured or sick. Here are some FAQs
- What is PAWS Kuwait? We are a non profit all volunteer international organization – our volunteers are all unpaid helpers who work to rescue and re-home stray or abandoned dogs and puppies or injured cats/abandoned kittens.
- Where is your office and what is are your opening hours? PAWS Kuwait does not have an office; all our volunteers work from home or help out at the shelter. All visitors to our shelter should prearrange an appointment to visit.
- How does your telephone/SMS service work? Why don’t you return my call? PAWS Kuwait volunteers have an sms service on our hotline number 99440089. The phone is manned as often as possible and WHEN we have the volunteer manpower. If you do not receive an immediate answer to an sms, please email us. We do not have emergency veterinary resources. If you find an injured animal please take your rescue to the vet. The vet we use is Al Dohama vet clinic. There is a map to this clinic on the home page of this website. Please remember that most of us work full time or have young children and families/pets to care for. We will respond to your sms or email when it is possible to do so.
- It is 10pm and we have found an injured dog or cat. Can PAWS come immediately? At this time of night the veterinary hospitals in Kuwait are closed. Although one of the vet clinics advertises an emergency call out number, in our experience, this is never answered. All you can do is place the injured cat or dog in a safe place. Keep it warm. Place food or water nearby and keep the animal safe and quiet until morning. Unfortunately, there is little else you can do at night. Al Dohama opens at 8 am. It is located beside the Friday market 24722002. (Except on Fridays when they open at 9am).
- It is midnight. We have found a stray animal. Can a PAWS volunteer come NOW? Please do not ring a volunteer at this time of night. The volunteers are not on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If you can, please look after the animal until morning. We would then try to help. Email us a photo and we’ll advertise immediately.
- Where can we see pets available for adoption? PAWS pets are sometimes placed in volunteer’s homes and sometimes located at the shelter. We will arrange a viewing depending on the placement of the rescue. Email the application to adopt or Contact Us form on the website with the name of the pet in which you are interested.
- Can PAWS Kuwait help with the export/import of my pet? Yes, we have experienced ‘pet travelling’ experts on our team. Our import/export team are very knowledgeable in the necessary paperwork, rules, regulations and the all important documentation.
- What can we do with our pet when we leave? If you can’t take it with you, or find it a home we will assist by advertising your pet in the local newspapers and on our website. If you abandon your dog or cat it will end up like so many, dead from car accidents or vulnerable to cruel abuse by ignorant people. Email us for advice. Don’t leave this until the last moment! PAWS believes that a pet is for life! Please try to take your pet with you when you leave.
- Do we have to pay for a PAWS pet? PAWS do NOT sell pets. We do ask that you make a donation that covers, at minimum, the veterinary costs for your pet. Before our rescues are offered for adoption they have had a health check and have been vaccinated and wormed. If it is old enough the pet will have been spayed or neutered. By making a donation that covers our expenses for your pet, you have ensured that we have enough funds to help another rescue. We ask a minimum donation of 40 KD for a rescued mixed breed male dog or cat, 45 KD for a female dog or cat. We ask a minimum donation of 100 KD for a pure bred dog or cat. This does not mean any dog is intrinsically more valuable to us; it merely reflects ‘market’ value. We are not privately funded so the donations from pet adoptions help us cover our veterinary care/spay and neuter/vaccination and pet food and litter bills which are huge! Every dinar we receive goes straight back into the shelter.
- Thank you for your assistance in the work we do in our efforts to care for and place these innocent living creatures. If you can’t take a rescue into your home, please donate to the PAWS shelter project or pick up a few pet products next time you are at the supermarket. We always welcome dog and cat food, pet carriers and beds, collars and leads.
The PAWS Kuwait Team
- Vet Surgeries: Al Dohama Vet Hospital 24722002 opens 8 – 1pm, 3 – 7pm except Fridays 9 – 11 am. Located beside the Friday Market site, across the road from the bird Souk. Highly recommended for reasonably priced vaccinations, spay/neuter surgery. Not recommended for boarding although much needed upgrades to the boarding facility is promised.
- Royal Animal Hospital: 24750966
- Pet Suppliers: Ace Hardware, True Value: both located in Shuwaikh. Al Dohama, Al Rai (next door) sell pet carriers and other pet products. Also try any Sultan Centre Supermarket.